Saturday, September 22, 2007

Installing OpenSim

I've been busy tonight, installing the latest OpenSim build on my Linux server at home. Had to install Mono and Nant first, that took some time but wasn't too hard. All stuff installed and compiled ok. Finally, I was ready to run opensim.exe. Unfortunately, this yielded an error:

Failed generating terrain map: System.TypeInitializationException: An exception was thrown by the type initializer for System.Drawing.GDIPlus ---> System.DllNotFoundException: gdiplus.dll


This error is actually described in the OpenSim troubleshooting page on the wiki, but those instructions, to include unstable packages, are for Debian. I'm running CentOs with Yum, so that's a bit different. Besides, I'm running some other stuff on the box that I'd rather keep online as much as possible, so I'm not sure running unstable packages is such a good idea.

Hopefully we'll be able to find a solution! I had hoped to get my own sim up and running tonight, but shortly after I hit this snag, my wife came home from her nightshift.. which means I'm done for now, time for an RL drink together!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Sered

I would like to install OpenSim in Gridmod for my childs and the friends of them. It will be my first own server. Do you know on witch OS it will be simple for me? And can you tell me where I can found a server to rent?

Thanks for your help and excuse me for my english.

Maria Wingtips said...

If you're not a technical person, you might be best off with a Windows machine. OpenSim and Mono run natively on that platform.

You might give it a try on an ordinary Windows XP machine, I don't know if that works.

I run on Linux, and have hired a very cheap server at Strato here:
http://strato.eu/. They have interesting packages with cheap servers including a domain name, for a couple of euros a month.

Anonymous said...

Opensimulator works very well on my Windows XP machine with the standalone version. I will try to learn about linux and servers...

Thanks for your reply.