Friday, February 5, 2010

Twinity: In the eye

Another visit to the London Eye. The view is nice, from up here..



Twinity has come a long way, in 2009. A much more stable client, three cities online, activities to do and an emerging community. Yet, there's always room for improvement, isn't there? Here's some suggestions!

The first one, is draw distance. In Second Life I can choose to set the draw distance to a large value. Of course it will take a lot of time to load the environment if you do so, but snapshots like this one would certainly improve:



The other thing is the day and night cycle. I understand why Twinity - a mirror world after all - would have a natural day and night cycle. But, given that I usually work during the day, it means I'm mostly confined to seeing dark cities.. Enjoying the city in broad daylight, or catching a sunset or sunrise for a particular picture is, to me, not always possible! That's why I would like to be able to override the default day and night cycle.

And I miss the fog. Especially with London not yet being finished, it might be a good idea to introduce some atmospheric haze. With a bit of haze in the air, loss of detail becomes a natural thing at larger distances; currently it looks like a texture that didn't load right. It would also serve to soften the hard edges of virtual London, where the city isn't finished yet. Especially when viewed from a higher viewpoint!

Finally: I would like some movement. Now that there's a London Eye, I'd like to ride it too! Same for the sightseeing buses strewn through virtual London. Why not let me hop on to one, and do an automatic guided tour through the city? Or a boat ride over the river Thames, through Singapore harbour, the Spree river in Berlin? This might actually require quite a bit of programming; I don't know how difficult it is to build this in Twinity. But would be a very valuable addition in my opinion.

See you in London!

No comments: